2007-01-04

Blu-ray vs. HD DVD: Knocking each other out?

 I love the continued Blu-ray / HD-DVD war - it continues to make the case for clear, straightforward delivery on the wire.  So maybe now you'll listen to what I've been saying about digital content delivery and stop fighting over little round pieces of plastic that will soon be extinct.

From CNET News:

"There's no question having two incompatible next-generation DVD formats is an untenable situation," adds Wharton legal studies and business ethics professor Kevin Werbach. "The real question is whether either of them will make it. Today, it's not clear why anyone would spend $800 or more on a Blu-ray or HD DVD player, when you can get a perfectly good DVD player for $30. The difference in quality just isn't that great, especially if you don't have a home theater."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People don't want to own the next minidisk, Zip drive or Betamax, and at $800 for a player, they (we) can't afford to. I didn't invest in a DVD burner until the first time I ran across a +/- burner -- that way, no matter which format failed, I wouldn't get stuck with an obsolete burner. Now that LG is debuting the first dual format blu-ray/hd-dvd player, I'll at least start checking into the technology -- although, like you mentioned, I'm not sure I'll notice a difference on my 8-year-old 35" tube television ...