2006-12-29

Tag2Find

I haven't used this app yet, but the review on  TechCrunch looks very promising.  I signed up for the beta on their website, and expect (hope?) to hear back from them soon.

Other than the name (which I truly dislike), this looks to be a very valuable product.  I would gladly embrace the concept of tagging any object (be it email, file, calendar entry, etc.)  I kind of do something similar with categories in Outlook (for mail, contact, and calendar items).

I believe the real win here is to take a product like Tag2Find and have it utilize the native containers as opposed to keeping all the metadata in a separate db.  There are inherit pros and cons to this, but overall I like the concept of storing my tags in the keywords field of my Word document - not to mention products like Windows Search and Google Desktop could index off it as well.  For all I know, this thing does this now.  Until they email me an invite, I can only guess.. (hint, hint)

Join tag2find Beta

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right; the grail here is to put the data within the files themselves. I'm currently using Advanced Disk Catalog to keep track of my MP3s and Picasa to try and keep a handle on my (growing) digital picture directory, but the problem is (and we've all encountered it) that eventually a bigger/better/faster program will come along, and all my past organizational efforts will be wasted. What would be supernice would be something like universal MP3 ID3 tags that would work across the board for all files, regardless of file type. Then new search engines/organizational programs could be deployed without the need for me to recaption ten thousand pictures of my kid ...

cj said...

I couldn't agree more robohara (which I guess means that I agree with you agreeing with me). With many file formats you could easily do this as they are tag-based file format. The app would simply add the new tag header with the keywords in it. Future apps could easily index off it. More to the point, you wouldn't need to do many file types to start (DOC, XLS, JPG) - and with the move to open-standards based XML file formats, this idea just gets better. I gotta believe someone has done it. If only I could use google to find out..