2006-10-25

Running DOS on Vista?

So I was asked today if DOS would run on Vista, as both a consultant and staff IT manager stated that it would not.  My gut was to say "Yes, of course it will run," but I wanted to make sure my gut wasn't lying to me.  So here's how I wasted an hour of my day:

Microsoft says:

Q: Will my MS-DOS applications continue to run under Windows Vista without modification?
A: Yes, they will.

Great, thanks a lot Redmond.  But still, that’s a good start.  Since there will be two flavors of Vista architecture, 32-bit and 64-bit - and as I have heard rumors that there will not be an included cmd emulator (DOS emulator) in the 64-bit version (and I could see this being true, but I do not believe that MS will turn its back on DOS apps, not yet at least) I've worked up some options.

  1. Stay on XP/2000.  XP Pro was released on 12/31/2001 (here), and their policy is 10 years of support (here) which keeps you fine until the start of 2012.
  2. Move to Vista and run dosbox.  dosbox has been used by gamers to run old dos games for quite sometime, and works on Vista.  The guys at ExtremeTech did a write-up on it back in May 2006, and the only issues they found then were with graphics drivers (that legacy, non-gaming DOS apps wouldn’t require in most all cases).
  3. Move to Vista and run DOS in a VMWare (corp site) or Microsoft Virtual PC environment. Most thorough compatibility chart evar, here.
  4. Use one of the numerous other virtual machines that supports DOS.

That’s about as thorough of an analysis as I could pull off in less than 60 minutes of wasted time I don't have.  Looks like both their consultant and the staff IT guy are falling a bit short  a bit off the mark  mental midgets.

No comments: