2006-10-26

Get your SPF on!

So who woulda thunk that Microsoft would have a very slick SPF Record Setup Wizard up on their site.

If you're not familiar with SPF, or Sender Policy Framework for long, then give a quick read to this article on MSExchange.org.  Basically, SPF is a kludge of the DNS to try and provide authentication for where email is allowed to come from on a per domain basis.  Why is this ineffective, because I can buy my own domain name as a spammer (myspamname.com), send email from that domain (imaspammer@myspamname.com), and tell the world that the servers I'm spamming from are legit. :sigh:

I'd still recommend that any of you that own your own domain names setup your SPF entries to (help) ensure that your mail gets through.  I've used Google's GMail as a nice test bed for my SPF implementations as it is fast and will easily show you the full mail headers (including the SPF headers).

No comments: