2007-04-18

Netscreen Woes

So I have this WRG614v1 (the original - aka WGR614) that I just won't let go of. It's not that I like it, to the contrary, I actually hate the damn thing. But I refuse to get rid of it for one primary reason - bandwidth.

I have a fairly cheap and reliable internet connection that runs at about 8Mbps sustained. That's pretty awesome. The WGR614 is an 802.11g router, which should do 54Mbps. Since all I really care about is the Internet (and not LAN traffic) from this access point, as long as my connection speed (usually 54Mbps) is greater than my internet connection (usually 8Mbps) I'm happy - and in this case 54 > 8. So I don't want to go by the latest POS that will simply fail on something else. Now perhaps when 802.11n is finalized and supported I'll upgrade for better video and intranetwork LAN support (read: I'm waiting for a 360 adapter). Until then, I'm keeping the damn WGR614).

So two things that I'd like to point out to you if you are using a WGR614.

  1. Disable Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) from the "WAN Setup" tab.
  2. Disable Packet Burst Mode from the Wireless Settings tab.

These two things were tricky to find, and were the result of trial-and-error. But once I turned them off, the WGR614 stopped acting so damn weird with my Dell Latitude 610. I guess now I'll stop raping bandwidth from the other local access points. :)

No comments: