2007-06-25

More Phone Innovation?! VM -> TXT!?

If you read my blog (which you don't) then you know that recently I posted about GrandCentral here. But wait, there's more innovation for our beloved antiquated medium the phone!

CallWave, based in Santa Barbara, has rolled out their very cool beta app Vtxt.  Sadly, they have stricken it with a seemingly v1 tag: "Think Outside the Phone".  :yawn:

The pitch here is that you point your phone's VM to them and they will convert it to text, then email and/or text it to you.  You can keep the text's indefinitely, search them, even text or call them back from their web interface.  Very cool stuff.

It is easy to activate, took about 5 minutes: I had to enter a code from a verification TXT they sent me, and bang in some unsightly looking GSM codes (starting **004*) to reassign the "call diversions" phone number. (Thanks to TechGSM for shedding some insight into which code this was...)

I'll post back and let you all know what I think of this service - but to be honest, as long as Cingular AT&T doesn't charge me a convenience fee for forwarding my calls to a different VM number (which I'm sure they will), I gotta believe it'll be at least as good as the incumbent.  I don't believe it will play nice with GrandCentral, but hopefully the bitheads at Google will roll this functionality into GC post-acquisition.

Callwave Vtxt signup here.

No comments: