2007-06-25

One Life, One Phone Number

There's a new service on the block, and it looks like it is going to be gobbled up by our good friends at Google. 

GrandCentral wants you to tie all your phones into one.  A great idea, and believe it or not one I wanted to do about 10 years ago - so it is very close to my heart.  My vision was one number that would "find" me no matter where I was.  Access to me via voice would be dependent on: where I was, who was calling, what time it was, and what the caller has to say.  GrandCentral, while not nailing all the ideas I wanted to roll into this device, seems to have most of them down pat:

  • Check your messages by phone, email, or online
  • Keep all your messages online for eternity
  • Record and store your phone calls (just like voicemail)
  • Quickly (and secretly) block an annoying caller
  • Click-to-dial from your address book
  • Surprise your callers with a custom voicemail greeting
  • Turn your Mp3s into the ring tones your callers hear
  • Forward, download, and add notes to your messages

I'm giving it a limited go - as it is hard for me to distribute a new number, especially when I have one of the best cell phone numbers, ever (well, right behind Woz that is).

Check out GrandCentral here, and their blog here.

No comments: